Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Storytelling Week 1: The Dastardly and the Righteous

This motif of an eagle fighting a snake shows the eagle which is the light defeating the snake which is the darkness
Source: (deviantart) License: (creativecommons) Changes:(resized image)

One day an eagle came across a snake that had just engorged himself on a juice, plump mouse. 
“How are you faring?” asked the eagle. 
“Very well,” replied the snake, “I have dined on the most scrumptious of mice and I would be most obliged if you would give me a lift to the mountain over yonder.” 
The eagle realized that the journey to the mountain would be arduous.  As he was a noble and honorable eagle, he decided to perform a good deed for another denizen of the animal kingdom.  Therefore, he swooped down and clasped the snake in his claws.
As the snake was carried to the mountain, he looked at the well-preened feathers of the eagle and thought to himself, “This eagle is very pleasant to look at and he has a healthy figure.  I think I shall devour him once we arrive at the mountain.”
“Once again I must offer my thanks,” said the snake hoping to mislead the eagle.
“It is no trouble,” said the eagle, “one such as I must extend our services to those in need.  Furthermore, I have family on the mountain and it shall be a blessing to see them once again.  For I have not seen my family for three winters.”
As they neared the mountain the eagle asked, “where should I set you down?”
“On the far side of the mountain, next to stream, at the tree line” replied the snake.
The snake prepared himself to attack the eagle.  When they arrived at their destination, the snake quickly wrapped himself around the eagle but his head was too close to the claws of the eagle to strike the eagle with his fangs.
“Why are you doing such a thing?” exclaimed the eagle.
“You shall make an excellent snack for me,” replied the snake.
So the eagle began a fight for survival as the noose of the snake crept closer and closer.  As the snake was about to obtain his victory, he was suddenly wrested from the eagle by a human hunter. 
“Curses,” thought the snake.  So he bared his fangs at the human hunter.  After missing several strikes at the hunter, he struck the hunter’s water skin and injected his venom. 
Seeing the proximity of the snake, the hunter swung down a fatal blow to the snake. 
As the snake crept off to die, the snake thought to himself, “we shall see who has the last laugh.”
The eagle, thankful of the hunter’s valiant effort, saw what the snake had down and flew into the air to wait for a chance to retrieve the water skin.  The exhilarated hunter walked over the stream to fill his water skin with the fresh mountain water.  After he had filled his water skin, and was lifting it his mouth to cleanse his parched throat, the eagle seeing his opportunity, dove and snatched the water skin from the hunter’s hand.  The eagle then flew off to dispose of the water skin the snake had tainted.

Authors Note:
This story is based off the Aesop Fable "The Serpent and the Eagle."  In the story, a snake attacks an eagle and as the eagle was gasping for breath, a countryman came and assisted the eagle.  Then the snake, who could not strike the countryman, struck the countryman's drinking horn.  As the countryman was about to drink from the horn, the eagle came and snatched the horn away saving the countryman.  I followed the base outline of the story and focused on the character development of the snake and the eagle.  I gave the eagle an honourable character and the snake trickster character, which I used to advance the story.  The countryman is a hunter in my version but his role is the same and he performs the same actions.  I felt that focusing too much on the hunter would detract from the story between the snake and the eagle.  The image was chosen because I felt that it was an accurate representation of the events that had occurred in the story.  The reason that the story was chosen was that I felt that this story shows of the age-old problem of good people being kind and be backstabbed.  In this instance, however a good Samaritan comes along and rescues the eagle from his plight.  

Bibliography:
Book: The Æsop for Children With pictures by Milo Winter
Author: Æsop
Year Published: December 2, 2006

2 comments:

  1. I like this story a lot. Sadly, I think there are a lot of people out there who would be classified as the snake in the story. However, it is enlightening to think about two complete strangers going out of their way to help each other. I like how you built up the personas of the eagle and the snake, I think that made the story more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the adjectives you used through out the whole story! they really made your story pop. I enjoyed reading your story, but like Kurtis mention above it is sad to see that there are people that do in fact posses the qualities of the snake. This idea of a trickster character is very powerful and is used in many different cultures. I’m glad to hear that the sneaky snake was not able to get away with his mischievous plans.

    ReplyDelete