Sunday, September 13, 2015

Styles Brainstorm

Topic:
My storybook is going to be over Vishvamitra.  It will tell the story of his life.  It will start at his birth then it will go into the stories of his time in solitude.  Then it will go through the story in The Ramayana.  I will use The Ramayana by R. K. Narayan and it will include stories from the comic book Vishwamitra: The King who became an Ascetic.  I struggled to find stories of Vishvamitra because most of the articles were either not sourced or were an analysis of his life through science.

Bibliography:
1.  The Ramayana: A Shortened Modern Prose Version of the Indian Epic, by R. K. Narayan (1972)
2.  Vishvamitra (Amar chitra katha Comics), by Anant Pai (January 1, 1980)

Possible Styles:
One style is that is a viable option is for the story to be told in first-person style and have it in present tense.  This would allow me to focus on Vishvamitra and his viewpoint.  Which would cause the viewpoints of other people to be neglected but would allow me to focus on Vishvamitra and his strengths and weaknesses and allow a bond to be developed between the reader and Vishvamitra.  This style would also be written in the style of a frametale to link the individual stories together.

Another style would be for me to write the story as an anthology and when writing it to use first-person, third-person, and third-person style to lead the reader in the direction I wish.  This would encompass giving limited information to the reader, to using emotion, etc.  By doing this I can give the reader different perspectives, which in turn cause the reader to see different characters and situations in new lights that, would otherwise have not occurred. 

Telling the story in third-person style and in a frametale style is a standard option but still allows the reader to experience the story.  I like this style because it gives the reader the most knowledge so that the reader can see what is coming but the same time the reader will have the suspense at not knowing what is going to happen.  I would use the omniscience to my advantage by focusing on the emotional aspect because the reader can see what is happening but cannot do anything about it. 

One style that I do not know if it would work would be to tell the story in third-person with a frametale style.  Within the story, though I would include a few sections of first-person style.  This would allow me to focus emotions and information that I then could then use later on.  I do not know if this would work in practice but I believe that it would effectively guide the reader in a direction that I wish.  
Vishvamatri being addressed as Maharishi by gods alarmed by him (Source: wikipedia)

No comments:

Post a Comment