Sunday, September 6, 2015

Indian Epic Topics



1. Possible Topic: The god Hanuman

I was looked into Hanuman at Laura Gibbs suggestion. I found that he was an interesting god because he was pivotal in Rama defeating Ravana. I found it interesting how faithful he was to Rama. In Mahabharata the fact that he messed with Arjuna when Arjuna was building the bridge I find amusing because it seems like he was “monkeying around.” I have only researched Hanuman on Wikipedia. One idea I have for a story is writing about his role in The Ramayana. Another idea is to tell his story in the form of a journal. Another option would be to retell of his exploits in Mahabharata.
Hanuman opening his chest to show Rama and Sita what was in his heart (Source:wikimedia

2. Possible Topic: the Maharathis Karna

I was interested in Karna because of my roommate. Karna is an interesting figure in that he is loyal and courageous and the made promises that would not benefit him. His ability in battle is also amazing. The only research I have done is read Karna’s Wikipedia page. One idea for my story would be to write about the story in Mahabharata and include stories on his curses and his promises. Another idea would be for the story to take place in the viewpoint of the gods and have them comment and spectate on the battle.

3. Possible Topic: Prahlada

Prahlada seemed to be an interesting in the fact that he was a daitya demon but he worshiped Vishnu. The fact that Prahlada had divine protection from Vishnu was interesting. Another part of his story that I liked was that Narasimha came and killed Hiranyakashipu thus ending his reign allowing Prahlada to rule. One option for a story would be writing about his life. Another option would be telling his story from the viewpoint of others. The only reading I have done on Prahlada has been from the Wikipedia page.

4. Possible Topic: the Brahmarishi Vishvamitra

I found that his story was very intriguing. The fact that he was a king who then became a Brahmin to gain power to defeat Vashista was a little odd. Then later he makes up with Vashista when he becomes a Brahmarishi. One option for the story would be for me to write about his history from his time as king to his time in The Ramayana in his viewpoint. Another option would be for me to write about his time doing penance. The only research I have done on Vishvamitra is what I have read on his Wikipedia page and what I have read in The Ramayana.

No comments:

Post a Comment