Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Reading Diary B: The Story of the Great War: Some Lessons from the Mahabharata by Annie Besant Week 14

I am reading The Story of the Great War: Some Lessons from the Mahabharata by Annie Besant.  One of my favorite stories in this section of reading was the story of Krishna dying.  It was touching how he knew that he was going to die, accepted, and was willing to die.  It was odd however, that Krishna did not do anything to stop the destruction of his people.  Given his power, he should have been able to stop it.  But instead of stopping it, he accepted it.  It was nice at the end when the hunter he did not blame the hunter and comforted him had shot him.  Another story that I liked from the reading was the story of the death of Draupadi and the Pandavas.  It was odd that the order of deaths was as it was.  It seemed that Arjuna was a better person than Bhīma but he died first.  Something that I liked in the story was the devotion that Yudhishthira had for his dog.  It was touching that he would not abandon his dog to enter into heaven.  I also like how Yudhishthira said that he had abandoned his family and Krishna but only after they had died because he could not revive them.  Then in the end it turned out the dog was his father Dharma.  After that happened and Yudhishthira had completed his test in heaven with the illusions, it was a happy ending to a story that at times had seemed to be depressing.
Pandava's Journey to heaven (Source: Wikimedia)

1 comment:

  1. I just read the storytelling post that you wrote after this particular weeks reading. It is so good! I am glad I got to read your interpretation of this story. I do like that you included Yudhishthira's devotion to his dog. I work at a pet hospital and love animals in general, so that really caught my attention. Good luck on the rest of your finals!

    ReplyDelete